Monday, June 10, 2013

Jam!

Yesterday I made this recipe from www.rhubarbinfo.com/jam
Very yummy! I actually halved the recipe, accidentally put everything (fruit, sugar, etc.) in the pan all at the same time-thought "uh-oh", but it turned out great! By the way, I have been using my 6 qt. Lodge enamel cast iron dutch oven to cook my jams so far this season-and it works wonderfully!

Blueberry Rhubarb Jam

Ingredients:

8 c Blueberries

4 c Rhubarb, chopped in 1 inch pieces

1 ts Lemon rind, grated
2 tb Lemon juice 
1 c Water
4 c. Granulated sugar (I used Morena brand pure cane sugar-it is not as refined, more like Turbinado)

Procedure:

In a large heavy saucepan, combine blueberries, rhubarb, lemon rind and juice and water. Bring to a 
boil, stirring frequently, reduce heat and simmer, very gently, for 10 minutes. Stir in sugar; increase
heat to high and boil vigorously until jam reaches setting point. (218 - 220F or 103 - 104C), 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, skim off foam and stir for 3 - 5 minutes to suspend 

fruit evenly throughout jam. Fill sterilized jars and seal. Makes about 4 pint jars or 8 - half pint jars.





Strawberry Rhubarb Caramelized Onion Jam

I also made this-which I found here at Local Kitchen
http://localkitchenblog.com/2010/03/16/strawberry-rhubarb-caramelized-onion-jam
Another really yummy jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment